Friday, March 21, 2014

Getting closer and closer

  We have been going to St George every week for Dialysis classes since Todd had his port surgery.  This is where we learn how to do this at home and on our own. Scary....... YOU BETCHA!  I love our home care nurse. Not to be confused with a nurse who comes into your home and helps with the care of an ailing loved one, Our home care Nurse is, one who is teaching us how to use the machine for dialysis, and how we hook up dialysis should there ever be an emergency where there is no power. *Never thought about how absolutely scary that can be before now, but that's another post I'm sure*

Erma is her name.  She is hilarious!!!  And incredibly patient.  She walks me through how to set up the machine, and how to hook up Todd and get everything going, and then how to unhook him in the morning.  Yesterday was the first day I did it all on my own, well with her talking me through it and not doing anything else.  I PASSED!!!! YAYAYAYAYA!  well, I passed that part!  lol I still have to be "certified" or be passed off on giving Todd needles in the arm once a week to help his red blood cell count grow! hehe

We have one more class, I think, I hope.. these runs to St George every week, although I love going up there and seeing our girls, are starting to wear on me.  4 hours isn't too bad in a car for someone who is healthy, it takes an awful lot out of Todd, and his swelling increases every time we do it, so I'm rather looking forward to when we can go back to going up every two weeks instead.  Once we get our supplies delivered to our house, Erma will make a trip down here and watch as we set up our machine, and as I hook up Todd for the first time.  I don't think she will stay the night, although she may, we will figure that out when the time comes.

I did the unthinkable, at least in my world,, for the first time in 8+ years I no longer have acrylic nails.  SAD SAD SAD DAY!  This was my ONE thing I did every two weeks, for the last 8 years.  It was my time. My pampering moment as Todd calls it.  Right up until I am told they are a HUGE bacteria trap and considering I am going to be helping Todd hook up to dialysis on a daily basis and will basically have his peritoneal cavity WIDE OPEN! *ok not wide open but a definite access route open* for bacteria, I thought it was a very smart decision to have the nails filed off.  Todd shed more tears than I did, *I didn't shed one tear!* when I came home and showed him, when I told him I had a nail appt he just figured it was a normal nail appointment.  Now he's pouting that I can't scratch his back.  haha poor baby right?? Scratch your back and spread bacteria to your innards, or give you the healthiest, cleanest environment for your dialysis I can... boo hoo! lol 


Mackenzie has moved into a bigger apartment, a two bedroom, as opposed to the 500 sq ft hallway she's been living in for the last 1 1/2 years.  We got to see it yesterday.  She's so excited and is so excited to decorate it.  It brought back memories of when I got my very first, on my own apartment.  She is still on her own, no room mates, and she seems to like it that way.  No worrying about people stealing her stuff, or abusing her stuff, or wrecking her credit by leaving her high and dry to pay the rent on her own.  She's doing great at her job and is loving life right now.  :) 

She asked if Levi could come up for his birthday to "hang out" at her new apartment, so he is up there this weekend,, He was so excited!!  I heard him on the phone with her on Wednesday saying "so what are we gonna do Kenz?  Are you going to spoil me??" He only asked this because because he overheard a conversation between her dad and her the other day.  

I still can't believe that little monkey is 11!!  Seriously!! Why?  Why do they have to grow up??  I didn't have kids so they could all leave me!  I look at him and I swear he's grown 3 inches overnight. I love that he still needs me and his dad and he still wants to need us.  He comes for hugs, snuggles, smooches.... and I willingly give them.. sometimes overboardingly!  *it's a word in my world!*

Ashalee is on her own too, also in St George, with roommates, although she had a date last night so we weren't able to see her apartment yet!!  Maybe next week?  We miss having her come visit and actually spending some serious time with her, not just grabbing a quick bite to eat before we head back home.  She is busy being a nanny and says she loves it!!  She may have found her niche, she is so good with kids!! I'm still hoping she will pursue a career singing, she has an amazing voice.

I am off to work! YAY for having a job I enjoy, for the most part and management that let's me have the time off I need to care for my family's health!!!

Catch ya on the flip side!




No comments:

Post a Comment