Thursday, May 26, 2016

Camping... and Memories

Something I have enjoyed as a teenager in youth groups,,

There is just something about sleeping outside, that helps me... always has.  Probably always will...

Never did much of it when the kids were little,, Todd was too busy with work, and the thought of packing stuff up for 5-8 people to rough it in a tent, with little to zero privacy, did NOT appeal to me,,, being as it was me that was expected to pack up everything, including the kitchen sink.. what fun is there in that,, then watching the kids like a hawk because we have all heard the stories of kids wandering off in the woods and never returning.. No thanks.  Then Todd got sick, and the thought of him getting an infection because we were enjoying the great outdoors made it even less appealing.

So when we, Tom and I, got invited to go to Moab with friends this last weekend.... I was completely excited!!  And grateful that Tom is an outdoorsy guy and had everything we needed.  Because I had given away all the boys camping stuff from scouts before I moved, so I have ONE sleeping bag with a broken zipper  hahaha.

We took off Friday after work and got into camp late, like 2 am.. we met Mandi and Christie and their families there, they were able to leave Friday morning, lucky dogs!   Saturday we got up early,, well, not really early because we are camping after all,, but early for not getting to bed before 3 am, and we headed out to hike a few trails.

Hiking is NOT my thing.  I get winded and realize exactly how out of shape I am,, and I hate it... I love the hiking part, not the winded, can't breath, man I am fat feeling that I get when I hike.  We did easy trails because we had 6 kids under 12 with us, and 2 sets of grandparents and a pregnant lady. It was so much fun!! We hided to the North and South Windows in Arches National Park, then we headed over to the Double Arches and WOW!!!  It continues to amaze me what nature can and will do when given the chance.  Such incredible beauty!!!

We drove around to the look out points for the Delicate Arch, and hiked those little paths,, ok,, only the lower view point was a little path,, no big deal, the upper view point,,, HOLY CRAP!!!!  steep, and so much FUN!! Yep I said it,, it was fun!! It is always invigorating to see what you can accomplish!!  I was winded, to say the least, but the sense of accomplishment was HUGE!!  We were going to get up the next morning and do the hike right to the arch, but, alas, our old bones hurt and were not happy with the 16,000+ steps and 7 miles we did on saturday, so it is in our plans to do it next time we go.. and there will be a next time.

We had such an amazing time.. we unplugged and just spent time with each other and our friends.... (it's mutually beneficial to have mutual friends right from the day you start dating!)

We hiked, we joked, we played cards, we laughed harder than either of us have laughed in a very long time.  We came home feeling refreshed, rejuvenated and like both of our loads had been greatly lightened.

SUMMER CAN COME ANYTIME NOW!!!












No comments:

Post a Comment