Tuesday, September 22, 2015

God is Great, Beer is Good... and people shouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth!

CALM DOWN! I am not drinking beer,,,,, yet! haha

So today was pre trial for Mr Stephen Sumbot.  The man who changed my life for ever...

I got a call from the prosecuting attorney yesterday and he gave me a heads up as to what they were expecting to happen, so I wasn't shocked or surprised.  He didn't have to do this, but he did and I appreciate it....

SO here's the bottom line...

He entered a plea of no contest.  *rolls eyes*
basically it's admitting guilt without saying yes I am guilty,, he is now claiming that he opened the bottle after the accident and drank it then to help take away the pain of what he saw... *poooor baby!, he wouldn't have seen it if he hadn't been driving!!, just saying*

The Prosecuting attorney then tells the judge what they have agreed to for sentencing....

10 days in jail
$1400 fine

Judge looks at the PA and asks, "please tell me why this is being looked at as a DUI and not anything worse?"

PA explains that the DA is *in my opinion an idiot*, saying that due to Utah Law there isn't enough evidence to support that Mr Sumbot is 51% responsible for the deaths of my husband and son.

Judge says.. OK,,,, Mr Sumbot, I am giving you the maximum sentence allowed,, 180 days in jail and a fine of $1900 and change.. you will have supervised probation *costs a ton of money out of his pocket*, and every vehicle in your name OR that you will be operating will be equipped with a *I don't know the legal name* breathalyzer.

Mr S then says, "your honor, I have multiple drivers in my residence."

Judge looks up and says "EVERY VEHICLE IN YOUR NAME OR THAT YOU WILL BE OPERATING, AM I CLEAR?"

Judge suspended 170 day of his jail sentence so Mr S only has to serve 10, as long as he reports to his PO, and goes to substance abuse counseling, and get the breathalyzers in your vehicles, oh and NO drinking for 12 months, while on probation.

The PA then asks the Judge to let me read a statement that I have prepared, and the Judge agrees,,

Here is what I said:

*the PA grabs a box of kleenex and puts it next to me! smart man!!*

"I am not even sure where to begin.  Nothing I say will ever change the fact that one man made a decision that impacted so very many people.

Because of your decision to drive while impaired, I will never get to look into those baby blue eyes again.  I will never get to see my baby grow into the man he strived to be at his young age.  Were you aware that THAT 11 year old boy was already working on his Eagle Scout Project?  Did you know his ambition in life was to be a game developer and he sought out people that could answer any questions he had about that profession?  He loved his family, he loved life and brought so much joy to every life he touched.

Were you aware that the man in the wheelchair was in line for a kidney transplant?  That he struggled every single day just to get up out of bed without passing out or throwing up?  He pushed through his pain to make sure his wife knew she was the most important person in his life.  All that mattered to him was his wife's happiness.  He enjoyed watching his children grow up into adulthood.

Our 2nd oldest child got married in May,  without her dad to walk her down the isle.  Our oldest daughter is getting married next year and I guarantee you the loss of his presence will be just as strong.  Our oldest son will return home from his LDS mission, never being able to hug his dad or baby brother again.  Our 4th and 5th have and will graduate high school without their biggest cheerleader sitting in the stands.

Your choice that night robbed my family of so much.  It robbed me of growing old with my sweetheart, of enjoying grandkids together, traveling together, and just being us together.

I want you to know even though YOUR decision that night changed every single aspect of my life and my family's life.  I pray for peace every night.  I pray that every time you get behind the wheel that you are sober.  I pray that should you ever pick up a drink again, you will remember that night that you changed both of our lives and I pray you walk away from that drink.

I keep seeing your face for the first time I met you.  The sorrow & pain visible.  I pray you find peace.      I truly forgive you and hope you are able to move forward."

I returned to my seat, the judge nodded and just looked at me and Mr S for a minute,  then Mr S says that he has a statement he would like to say.

Judge says go ahead,,,,

This is what he says,, *IT WILL PISS YOU OFF,, YOU'VE BEEN WARNED! please know I am at complete peace with everything that happened*

Mr S.
"your honor, I am guil,, responsible for my actions that day,,, "blah blah blah,, bunch of unimportant bullshit and babble that he rambled on about for a few minutes,, "This affected my family too, this has changed my family as well..." blah blah blah  ... then he raises his voice and says "however I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF ANYONE!,, Ok I am done!"

His lawyer looked at him with his jaw hanging open.. the Judge looked at him,, you could seriously see steam coming out of the Judge's ears,, he was not impressed.  and the PA looked back at me, with complete shock all over his face.

Me,, I sat there, smiling,, feeling complete peace, and kept hearing "let it go,,, just let it go" being whispered in my ear.

Mr S stormed out of the court room and the PA and the investigating officer jumped up and came over to me.  The PA apologized all over the place.  and I stopped him and said, you know what,..  it's ok. It is out of our control what Mr S Says and does.  He will  have to live with this for the rest of his life.  God is a loving God,, He is also a just God and now Mr S will have to answer for these actions as well.

I got to him.  I was able to say what I needed to say.  I was able to let him know that yes I hold him accountable for taking Todd and Levi's lives from this earth... However, I forgive him.  I am ready to move forward.  I am ready to be happy again.

I miss them, so much, every single day.  I will miss them for the rest of my life.  And anyone that knows Todd and Levi and how much they loved me, knows that they would both KICK MY ASS if I was the weeping widow society thinks I should be.  I will still cry, not as often, and that's ok.  I will always have them with me.

Love... is all that matters. (PS I kinda love Billy Currington!! just saying'!)

here's the link to that song I keep going back to,,,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKpQRjj_WbU:-)

1 comment: