Friday, October 28, 2016

Organ donation

It wasn't his heart. It wasn't his lungs, or liver, it wasn't a limb or skin, or some other life altering organ... but it was,, for one girl and her family it was very life altering.., And it was his eye.  I remember getting the phone call, someone on the other end,, offering condolences, asking if I had thought about organ donation, is it something I would be interested in... that's one job I would not want.... calling up a family member who had just lost someone they loved, and asking if they would let us cut them up and take out what was needed by another person.  Heart wrenching to say the least.

I never even thought twice about it. YES! YES YES YES YES YES!.. if it could help someone then please,, take what you need, was my response,  My heart physically hurt when I was told all they could take was Levi's cornea and parts of his heart.  Healthy, vibrant, young 11 yr old boy has died, and because he didn't die in a hospital all they could take was those little insignificant things.  Well they aren't so significant if you need them and yours don't work!!


In August of this year I got another call from the Utah Lions Eye Bank,, maybe it was an email, telling me they were redoing the pamphlet that they give to recipients and donors, and would I mind if they used our (my and Maddy's) story.  Absolutely!! Anything to keep part of him here,, alive.  So I sent her a picture that was taken just maybe a week before the accident.  One that captures all of that sweet, funny, dorky, lovable young man I was blessed to have call me Mum!!

The lady emailed me yesterday a copy of the new pamphlet they will be handing out to Donor families and recipient families.  I didn't open it until I got home, well to Tom's last night,,, I knew I would cry, and I knew I didn't want to be alone when I saw it for the first time.

I love it...

https://cdn.fbsbx.com/v/t59.2708-21/14736981_10154502735905638_4691851845000232960_n.pdf/Writing-to-Donor-f.pdf?oh=da2646d2b28f19feb72a5942e79ea1b8&oe=5815126E&dl=1

That's a bigger picture and you can read what they printed. Below is a screenshot of the pamphlet. 💜




Someone once told me,, 'Levi is gone, he isn't here, he isn't living in the recipient...'

All I can think is He is here still... part of his dna,, part of what I helped create, is helping a very sweet young lady have a most adventurous life, helping others, doing what she can to make the world a better place for all she comes in contact with... I know she has made my world just a little better by being true to herself and loving and remembering my son on a daily basis *her words,, not mine*  She and her family are now family to me, always will be.  We may not see each other much, at all, but we love each other, we watch from a distance how one another are doing, and we reach out when needed.

Thank you,, thank you to the Utah Lions Eye Bank for keeping Levi's memory going.. for the compassion and love you have shown to our family.  And thank you to my sweet girl Maddy, for reaching out to me to show love, and gratitude for something that could have just as easily been tossed in the garbage,, for allowing me to see that it has just as big of an impact on your life as a limb, a lung, a kidney.. *maybe not a heart because well that's a pretty intense organ ;-)*

No comments:

Post a Comment