Monday, June 6, 2016

AMAZING!

That is the ONLY word that comes to mind when I think about this past weekend!  I keep replaying the events over and over in my head!! SO many firsts!!!  SO many amazing memories were made!!

Let me start by saying, I grew up, and by grew up I mean got older, with my dad riding a motorcycle.. so I never really had or understood the stigma that seems to follow those that ride,,, the whole,,, "don't talk to them they are bad people,, they cause fights,, they drink,, etc. etc.. gangs,, " you get the picture here... I just don't get it.. I have never really been one to not respect someone because of how they look,, how they act is a completely different story mind you!

Tom and I got to take part in the MDA Ride on Saturday. 3000+ bikers all together,, for one purpose.. to raise money and awareness for Muscular Dystrophy.  It was overwhelming and awe inspiring at the same time!  The sense of brotherhood was tangible in every sense of the word. What was even more,, what's the word,, incredible, was to see our local law enforcement there.  There were motorcycle police officers from SSLCPD, UPD, WVPD, and I am sure I am missing some, that joined us.  Keep in mind this was my first BIG ride, so the entire thing was a huge eye opening experience, to see all the bikers, and officers, nodding, shaking hands, saying hi... etc etc... it was awesome to see, especially considering all the bad press our officers have been getting.

At 1 pm we heard sirens and everyone's kickstands went up, and we were off.  LOUD.. that's the one word that can describe it.. LOUD!  The officers led us out and onto the road,, other officers stopped traffic so we could all get out and on the road and freeway safely... and thankfully there were only a couple cars that felt it necessary to get in front of "those bikers" once we were on the freeway.. most of the cars we passed were waving and a few honking, and most, very respectful. We headed to Wendover, where we got to see American Hitmen perform!  Sunday we packed up and headed back to the valley.



Where we got back just in time to shower, and get ready to go do something I have wanted to do for the last year.....

A few months ago, I got a letter from a young girl, who is the recipient of one of Levi's cornea.  She was legally blind, and her life was hindered because of this disability, as we, our family, could understand, as Todd was legally blind for the last 2+ years of his life.

I wrote her back.. trying to share with her exactly who my little boy was and all the awesomeness he represented.

I got a letter from her mom.  Heartfelt, and full of love and gratitude...

and I waited.. hoping and praying that she would want to meet.  That I could look into her eyes and see my son even just one more time....

Then,, my phone rang about a month ago.....

M: Hi,, is this Rhonda?

Me: Well that depends,, who's calling please?

M:  My name is Madison,, I am the recipient of.....

Me: Tears and sobs all over the place!!!

we talked for about 10  minutes,, she wanted to meet!!  Her family wanted to meet, to say thank you.. to have my family over for dinner.   I explained that it was just me, my other children lived in St George, and asked if I could bring my boyfriend with me, and was told absolutely!

We agreed we would get together and decided on June 5th.  I had a knot in my stomach the entire weekend.  Tom and I headed down Sunday evening.. into Lehi,, yep,, they live that close,, :-)

As he opened my car door, I just looked at him and thought,, don't throw up!  He just smiled and we walked up the driveway.  Madison was there with her sister and her two brothers in law.  She walked up to me, smiled and just wrapped her arms around me and hugged me so tight!  OH MY HEART!!!  Amazingly not one tear fell from my eyes!  *yes Tom and I both were expecting a tear fest to be honest!*  the peace that filled my heart... I looked at her and just KNEW that this is what Levi wanted... this was all in place long before we ever came to earth.  I turn around and there is a woman walking towards me, tears in her eyes as she wraps me in her arms and I hear her say "THANK YOU!   Thank you so very much,, we are family now,, forever!  THANK YOU!!"  (yea I teared up a little but still NONE fell!!)

I handed Madison a book of pictures I had printed off of Levi, hoping she would be ok with it, I just wanted them to see who he was.. how incredible he was,, all that he was... They looked through the pictures.. we talked... we laughed,, I shared memories of him.  Madison's mom said to me,, I saw you on the news that night,, I heard your story, and something just told me this was the one,, this was who was going to help Madison....

OH MY HEART!

We sat out on their deck after dinner talking and laughing.. sharing stories,, Madison participated in the Miss Lehi pagent the day before and is 1st runner up,, is that the terminology??  WAY TO GO MADISON!! ,, She is now working at the Eye Bank, and loving it.

I don't remember how it came up, but she was looking off into their field and said something like,, I can't see it... and her mom says "Use your Levi eye then!" Oh we laughed so hard!!  I told her she had permission to blame all the good on Levi's influence on Madison.

We left feeling completely loved, and like family.  I hope we can continue to stay in contact and I can't wait to see all this fantastic young lady accomplishes in her life!!!

We met as strangers, left as family.  They hold a very special part of my heart.

Madison and I

Madison, me and her mom. 💚💖💜

There were a couple things said throughout the night that let us know that Levi was right there... one that I remember was when Madison and her sister started doing "your mom" comments, and Angela joined right in!! I just sat back and laughed so hard,, and thought,, "Ok buddy,, got it,, you're here,, you're right here, in this room with us!!!  Thank you!!!"  *yea now I have tears in my eyes,, blink them back,, it's a good makeup day!*  and I wish I could remember the other one,, we were sitting at the dinner table, and something was said, YES!!!  Thank you Alex!!, Maddys sister just reminded me,,,, 

Alex was talking to her,, ugh I think it was her husband?, may have been her dad,, I hate widow rain!, and she something to the effect of,, why are you not being useful,, go make me a sammich!!
I laughed so hard!!!  Levi thought it was hilarious to tell me to get in the kitchen and make him a sammich, something he picked up from his oldest brother just before he left on his mission,,,,
and I just thought,, Yep,, Levi's here. 

2 comments:

  1. Rhonda, I am Maddy's aunt and I am also grateful to you and your son. It's made an incredible difference for Maddy and I am so glad you all got to meet. Maybe one day I can meet you too and thank you myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a priceless and selfless gift you gave! We are so appreciative. Your son sounds like he was a wonderful person. -Jennifer, Maddy's cousin

    ReplyDelete